Sunday, May 6, 2007

Found Art Set Free May 7th 2007


Theme:Mother

So here is my first found art piece. I'm not happy with the photos because my camera is crap...however I am happy with the piece, considering the time I put in. I chose a paua shell as my base. Paua is the NZ equivalent to abalone...and I thought of it because of the mother-of-pearl inside the shell as well as the shape...kind of reminds me of a pregnant belly.
I added the "babies", all connected by either apron strings or umbilical cords...symbolising the ties between mums and children.
The red hearts are painted with fingernail polish...reminds me of my mum who I've never seen without her red toenail polish, and my grandma who ALWAYS has red manicured fingernails.


The pearls were my great-grandmother's costume jewely, so that was a bit hard to set free, but I think it ensures the piece will find a nice owner. Inside the mama shell I shaped the pearls into a koru (in Maori it represents the unfolding of new life, that everything is reborn and continues. It represents renewal and hope for the future. )
Feathers were added to symbolise flight...all babies leave the nest at some time or another...well, that's what they're supposed to do anyway.
Finally, the writing on the back, which is not very ledgible, says: Mother, how you love us. Mum, how you suffer. Mama, how we love you. Ma, how strong u r.


5 comments:

lena rushing said...

oh crap! my toes are painted red right now ( : you know, it used to gross me out, the red toes, now i wear 'em...a lot...i'm turning into mom, AHHHHHH! ( : i'm so glad you've participated..not so glad your giving gramma moms pearls away to fate(kidding),but, oh well, it's not like she needs 'em. my favourite(spelled your way)are the words on the back. you put a lot of thought into it, great job shauna ( :

Maheno said...

Iconic first piece Shauna, and in keeping with the mana wahine aspect of Mothers Day. I love imagining a stranger discovering your work and feeling the aroha that's embodied in it! Thanks to our sisters over the Pacific puddle who have shared the FOUND ART idea with us. It will now become part of papatuanuku - the mother earth of Aortearoa. She will keep it safe and ensure all FOUND ART is treasured by their finders. Aroha, Lana

Kathy L said...

This is beautiful. I love all the symbolism. I envy the person who finds it!

Welcome to the found art movement!
k

Pacha said...

yay! welcome to our found art group! :o)
I love your piece. it is very thoughful and I'm sure it will find a loving new home...

thanks for your comments on my blog!

Fred said...

Nice womb shell. Some lucky New Zealander is going to flip out when they find that! You must have a VERY special mother to have inspired such a piece of art.
(Somehow your comments on the Bambu site got lost in a vortex. I need to adjust some preferences. Hopefully I can remember the name of that movie.... sounds interesting.)
Keep up the great work!